Hotcakes with Sugar Syrup
“Caroline waited impatiently, trying hard not to look at the tall, steaming stack of hotcakes. The very last thing Mother put on the table was the sugar syrup. Now they all sat down.”
– Little House in Brookfield
Now you can make Hotcakes with Sugar Syrup, just like Caroline.
To make Hotcakes you’ll need:
4 Cups all-purpose flour
¾ Cup sugar
8 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter (plus extra to grease the pan)
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Large egg
2 Cups milk
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Large bowls
Griddle/large heavy pan
To make Sugar Syrup, you-ll need:
2 Cups water
2 Cups sugar
First make the Sugar Syrup:
- Heat sugar and water together in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Then make the Hotcakes:
- Stir the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl until mixed.
- In another bowl, beat the milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla until blended.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and beat until just blended (a few lumps are okay).
- Heat griddle or large heavy pan over medium heat. Brush heated griddle/pan with a little butter.
- Pour batter for each hotcake, leaving a little space in between. Cook until golden brown underneath (you can lift up a corner to peek). Flip the hotcakes carefully and cook until the undersides are golden brown as well.
- Repeat with rest of batter.
- Serve hot with sugar syrup.