“With Mrs. Taylor looking after Ma, and Pa tending to the animals in the barn, Laura and Mary and Carrie set about fixing everybody a big dinner.”
– Old Town in the Green Groves
Now you can make mashed potatoes like Laura and Mary! To make mashed potatoes, you will need:
6 Large potatoes
Butter or milk
A large pot
A potato masher or hand mixer
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a pot and fill the pot with water, just covering the potato pieces.
- Cook the potatoes in the water until they are tender when stuck with a fork.
- Take the pot off the stove and drain the water. Careful—the water is very hot!
- Mash the soft potatoes with a potato masher. You can also use a hand mixer, if you don’t have a potato masher.
- Add slices of butter one at a time, or splashes of milk one tablespoon at a time, as you mash, until the potatoes are lump free. They should have a stiff, but smooth consistency.
Eat and enjoy!