“The smell of warm porridge had filled the air along with Mollie’s song. Martha slid open the door-panel and climbed out of bed. . . . The good porridge smell chased the last sleepiness out of the room.”
– Little House in the Highlands
One of Martha’s favorite foods was porridge. Here’s how to make it!
You will need:
1 Cup oatmeal
4 Cups water
2 Teaspoons sugar
½ Cup cream
- Put the oatmeal in a pot, and add the water.
- Over medium heat, stir the oatmeal and water until it starts to simmer (ask an adult for help with this).
- Lower the heat and keep stirring for five minutes.
- Mix in the sugar and the milk.
Serve and enjoy! For an added treat, drizzle honey on top!