“Ma bore in both hands the great pumpkin pie, baked in her large, square bread-baking tin.”
– Little Town on the Prairie
Now you can make Thanksgiving Pie, too! In this recipe we used canned pumpkin since it is easier to cook with, but you can use fresh pumpkin if you want. To make pumpkin pie, you will need:
1 Unbaked pie crust rolled out to a 12″ square
2 Cups cooked, mashed pumpkin (1 16-ounce can)
¾ Cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ Teaspoon ground ginger
½ Teaspoon ground cloves
¼ Teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ Teaspoon salt
1½ Cups milk
9″ Square cake pan
Eggbeater or fork
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Lay the pie crust in the 9″ square pan and fit it up around the sides.
- Flute the edges in a pretty design.
- Beat the eggs until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the pumpkin, sugar, and spices and salt, and mix well.
- Add the milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake the pie at 425° for 15 minutes; then turn the oven down to 350° and continue baking for about 30 minutes more or until a knife put in about an inch from the edge comes out clean. The pie will set a little more as it cools.
Cool the pie on a rack before serving. Cut it into squares to serve. Refrigerate any leftover pieces.